By Dialogo August 29, 2012 Brazil is suffering a side effect of economic prosperity: an increase in the consumption of cocaine and its derivatives, resulting in Brazil intensifying its efforts to pursue drug traffickers around its borders in order to limit the entrance of drugs from Bolivia, Peru and Colombia. While the debate over drug legalization continues to intensify in the region, Dilma Rousseff’s government embarked on a new military and police strategy to pursue drug traffickers, limit their vast territory and penetrate into the regions, counties and cities, where small and medium-range traffickers crowd prisons. “Our country is growing economically; it has greater purchasing power, which increased drug consumption. Sixty percent of the population and 75% of Brazil’s GDP is concentrated in southern and southeastern Brazil, and this is where most of the cocaine is being consumed,” said Oslain Santana, head of the Police Force’s organized crime division to AFP. The plan against drugs, which combines a heavy hand against trafficking with medical attention to dependents, involves joint actions between the police forces of Brazil, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, Uruguay, and soon, Venezuela. Cooperation is protected by bilateral agreements regarding the exchange of information, financing of programs, and having Brazilian observers join in the work of eradicating illegal crops in neighboring territories. “Affecting the sovereignty (of neighbors) is not the intention, we just want cooperation. It may be that crime knows no boundaries, but the police do,” the head of police said in an explanation regarding the reports that armed Brazilian agents are participating in anti-drug operations on Peruvian soil. In June 2011, President Rousseff launched a strategic plan that provided periodic border mobilization of military troops backed by armored vehicles, aircraft and boats, in order to surprise smugglers red handed. In total, 3,500 police, – 1,000 more than a year ago – supported drug trafficking pursuits from the borders to the streets and favelas. Operation Ágata 5 concluded this week on the borders between Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina and Uruguay, an area of about 2,423 miles, which involved 17,000 troops. Troops detained 31 people and seized six tons of drugs in 15 days, according to the Brazilian Ministry of Defense. In 2011, the Federal Police seized 24 tons of cocaine, compared to 27 tons in 2010.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, the resulting emotional challenges employees confront escalates daily. Millions of employees and almost every employer are adjusting to previously unimaginable circumstances. Although it is hard to predict the long-term impact, there are clear indicators that the pandemic is adversely affecting mental health right now. As employees struggle to live within an ever-changing “normal,” the prevalence of mental wellness struggles mount.What is happening to the American worker?New research by the Society for Human Resource Management shows that up to 67% of U.S. employees “often” or “sometimes” experience symptoms of depression.These symptoms include difficulty concentrating, feeling tired, feelings of failure or letting the family down. And for some, it’s worse, including rising hopelessness or little interest or pleasure in pursuing activities for over half of respondents. The boundary between work and home evaporated when more than 90% of U.S. workforce that could work remotely actually did—as such, employees now feel they are “on” all the time. Work life is no longer just completing the work and meeting deadlines. Employees have to manage child schooling, internet rationing and grocery washing. Once in-person school ended, that window to have a quiet space, where one can be productive and communicate effectively, disappeared. Now 41% of U.S. staff report feeling “burned out.” continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Dix Hills man has admitted to conning friends and neighbors out of $5 million by getting them to invest in his Ponzi scheme over an eight-year span until his arrest last year.Robert Rocco pleaded guilty Tuesday at Central Islip federal court to wire fraud.“Rather than make sound investment decisions as he had promised, Robert Rocco fleeced friends, neighbors, and colleagues and used their money to fund his own lavish lifestyle,” said Loretta Lynch, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York.Prosecutors said the 49-year-old scammer promised up to 18-percent returns to investors in a series of businesses that he formed between 2006 and 2013.Those businesses included Limestone Capital Services, Advent Merchant Services and Advent Equity Partners, which purportedly provided loans to finance wholesale cigarette purchases and a credit card processing venture.But, instead of investing the money, he misappropriated the money and solicited money from new investors, which he used to pay purported profits to earlier investors, authorities said.He went as far as to send account statements to investors that falsely showed that investors’ accounts had earned high rates of return.He also stole $66,915 in checks from the Dix Hills Soccer Club, of which he was the president, leaving the soccer club with no funds to operate. He later sought and received donations to allow the club to continue operations.He faces up to 20 years in prison, more than $250,000 in fines and $3,498,940.13 in restitution.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
This house at 89 Pring St, Hendra, has sold. Picture: realestate.com.au.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus19 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market19 hours agoIt is now advertised for rent for $800 a week through Ray White Albion Rentals. The four-bedroom, two-bathroom family home is in one of Hendra’s most sought-after, tree-lined streets and is close to local private schools and cafes and retailers. WHERE LAND IS IN DEMAND This home at 89 Pring St, Hendra, is now for rent. Picture: realestate.com.au. Greg Cavill, pictured with his daughter Jenny, outside the Breakfast Creek Hotel.THE Brisbane home of former Breakfast Creek Hotel publican and sailing stalwart, the late Greg Cavill, has sold for $1.225 million.His daughter, Jenny, handled the sale of the house on 604 sqm at 89 Pring St, Hendra, which lasted just 18 days on the market. GET THE LATEST REAL ESTATE NEWS DIRECT TO YOUR INBOX HERE Inside the home at 89 Pring St, Hendra. Picture: realestate.com.au.Records show the property had previously sold for $540,000 in September 2001.The Cavill family took up the lease on Brisbane’s famous waterhole — the Breakfast Creek Hotel — in 1926 and held it for 72 years.Mr Cavill was also the oldest surviving Commodore of Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron. THE BACHELOR’S PAD GETS MILLION-DOLLAR CHEQUE Breakfast Creek Hotel, Brisbane. Image: AAP/Steve Pohlner.
Arthur L. Fischmer, 94, of Greensburg passed away on September 5, 2016. He was born on August 7, 1922 in Decatur County, the son of Clarence and Alma (Krone) Fischmer. Arthur was a 1941 graduate of New Point High School. He served in the United States Army- Air Corps during WWII; he was the Crew Chief Mechanic. Arthur served in Rhineland Central Europe, Ardennes Air Offensive Europe, and Normandy Northern France; He was a Bronze Star recipient. On May 23, 1948 he married Vivian Oakley, and they celebrated 68 years of marriage. He was a life member of the VFW Post 3183 of Batesville, 8th Air Force 306 Bomb Group, and St. Paul Lutheran Church- Smyrna.Survivors include: Wife- Vivian Fischmer; Daughter- Janet (Glenn) Rohls; Grandchildren- Carmen (Clint) Pride and Eric (Ashley) Rohls; Great Grandchildren- Carley Pride, Cole Pride, Madison Rohls, and Landon Rohls. He was preceded in death by his parents.A visitation for family and friends will be held at the Gilliland Howe Funeral Home on Thursday, September 8, 2016 from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Funeral Services will be at the Smyrna Lutheran Church on Friday, September 9, 2016 at 11:00 am. Doug Brougher will be officiating. Burial will follow at the Smyrna Lutheran Cemetery. Memorial contributions can be made to the Smyrna Lutheran Cemetery or to Margaret Mary Health Foundation. Online condolences can be made to the family at www.gilliland-howe.com
Mr. Larry Carlysle “Charlie” Tingle, age 53, of Vevay, Indiana, entered this life on August 2, 1963, in Madison, Indiana, the loving son of, Charles Larry and Shirley Fay (Harlow) Tingle. He was raised in Vevay, Indiana where he attended the Switzerland County High School. Charlie was employed for Millwright in Latham, New York for 6 years, where he rebuilt turbines and generators. He was also employed for the US Shoe Factory in Vevay, Indiana for 15 years as a toe laster. He was also employed for Randall’s Textron as a fork lift operator for 5 years and in his early life he worked in farming. Charlie enjoyed riding motorcycles, tinkering on cars and spending time with his grandchildren. He resided in the Vevay community all of his life. Charlie will be deeply missed by his loving family and friends. Charlie passed away at 7:39 am, Saturday, May 20, 2017, at his residence in Vevay, Indiana.Charlie will be dearly missed by his daughters: Jessica Leap and her husband: Harley of Madison, IN and Michelle Tingle of Madison, IN; his son: Isaiah Tingle of Vevay, IN; his grandchildren: Katelynn, Destiny, Bryson, McKayla, Hanna and Kolton; his mother: Shirley Fay (Harlow) Tingle of Vevay, IN; his father and step-mother: Charles Larry and Barbara Tingle of Versailles, IN; his brothers: Lonnie Tingle of Lawrenceburg, IN, Jeff Tingle of Vevay, IN and Charles Tingle, Jr. of KY and his nephews: Logan Tingle and Cory Brophy.He was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents: William and Lucinda Harlow; his paternal grandparents: Gilbert & Leona Tingle and his grandson: Dylan Jennings.Memorial service will be conducted Friday, May 26, 2017, at 1:00 pm, by Bro. Anthony Wilks, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043.Friends may call 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm, Friday, May 26, 2017, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043.Memorial contributions may be made to the Isaiah Tingle Education Fund % Shirley Tingle. Cards are available at the funeral home.
Butlerville IN – Personnel from the Southeast District of the Indiana Department of Transportation will participate in earthquake disaster training next week. The exercise, that runs from September 16 – September 20, will include route clearing, bridge inspection, and building assessments.Most activities are taking place at the Muscatatuck Urban Training Center (MUTC) in Butlerville. INDOT says this could cause an increase in traffic between the district’s headquarters in Seymour, the INDOT Maintenance Unit at North Vernon, and the MUTC.On Wednesday and Friday, teams will travel on US 50 to and from Seymour, the bypass to MUTC, and the North Vernon Unit location on State Road 3.The training exercise will involve personnel from all INDOT districts from all over the state, as well as employees from the Ohio Department of Transportation. INDOT and its employees coordinate training programs to ensure they are prepared to respond in a natural disaster.
The game is a friendly which the Italian will use to assess the depth of his squad ahead of Friday night’s World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands. However, it is also a repeat of his first competitive fixture as Ireland manager when his side took on the Georgians at a neutral venue in Mainz, Germany in September 2008 as they set out on what they hoped would be the road to the World Cup finals in South Africa. Press Association Giovanni Trapattoni will complete a circle of sorts when he sends his new-look Ireland team out against Georgia on Sunday evening. They were ultimately to be denied on a cruel and controversial evening in Paris, but it was there that the veteran Italian unfolded his masterplan as his fabled system helped to secure a 2-1 victory. Almost five years on, Trapattoni’s continued presence in the job remains a topic of extended debate, but he believes much has changed, and for the better, in the meantime. He said: “We have changed many players, we have changed all the squad. There is only Richard Dunne, Robbie Keane, Aiden McGeady – we have changed all the team. It was not easy. We had to choose players who were on the bench in the Championship, we have to choose players for the positions. “But now we have more players who play in the Championship, they play in the Premier League and the team has changed. We have very, very much international experience. But it is not finished.” Only five of the men who started that afternoon in Germany – John O’Shea, Richard Dunne, Glenn Whelan, Aiden McGeady and Robbie Keane – are included in the current squad, and none of them will start on Saturday. However, Trapattoni’s philosophy throughout his tenure, to the annoyance of his critics, has revolved around a system into which other players can slot with the minimum of fuss. As a result, he will expect the men who walk out against Georgia, to perform the same function as their more senior colleagues did in Wednesday night’s creditable 1-1 draw with England at Wembley. Trapattoni said: “This is another opportunity. I will show them tomorrow morning before the game what our team did well against England. They can understand only with this attitude and this performance with our quality, we can achieve every result. “England was a tough game, but we also have to realise that it will not be easy against Georgia because Georgia have players playing in Russia in the strong teams, they play in Germany, they are international players. They lost against Spain, okay, but lost in the last 10 minutes. They achieved a draw with Finland. They have very good players.”
Press Association The former England midfielder believes Chelsea and Manchester City are both equipped to dominate the English game in the coming years. Chelsea came out on top this season, controlling the title race from the start, but Lampard expects last year’s champions City – runners-up this time – to be back strong. Comparing the two clubs, Lampard said: “It’s exactly the same. They are very much a replica of each other and the clubs I think are going to be the top two clubs for the next few years, I really do. “That’s in English football and hopefully going into Europe because they’ve got great foundations. They are looking to the future with the training grounds the academies and, with the squads as they are, I think that will be the way they will be.” Lampard, 36, has seen at first hand just how ambitious and progressive both clubs are. His career will be synonymous with Chelsea, having enjoyed his best years at Stamford Bridge and left the London club as their record goalscorer last summer. He has spent the past season at the Etihad Stadium after signing for City as a short-term measure before hooking up with their sister club New York City this summer. “Man United are probably going to spend a lot of money, they’ve got a strong team, and Arsenal are always there or thereabouts,” said Lampard, who signed off at City with a goal in Sunday’s season-ending 2-0 win over Southampton. “But from being inside the camps at Chelsea – for such a long time – and at City, I know what they’ve got. I know the quality. “I think Chelsea certainly deserved the title this year because of the way they played and their consistency level but it is all up for grabs again next year.” Frank Lampard is heading to the United States expecting his old clubs to remain as the Premier League’s top two.